How to lose weight while working
The 21st century has witnessed some of the biggest changes to human civilization ever in its history.
- Pack you lunch box with a colourful salad plate, a protein-rich source (like meat, poultry, fish, eggs, beans or lentils) along with a carbohydrate rich food (whole grain rice, quinoa, pasta, potato, or whole wheat bread).
- Avoid and keep empty calories such as sweets, chocolates, pastries, chips and carbonated beverages out of your reach as these offer no nutritional value and instead fill your body with salt, sugars, saturated and trans-fat all of which lead to fat build-up.
- When thinking liquids, think water, unsweetened green tea and black coffee.
- Drink plenty of water. You can flavour your bottle of water with some lemon or lime slices, cucumber, ginger, and mint leaves.
- A latte has sugar and milk that adds to your daily caloric intake. Juices too, while healthy if made fresh, mostly contain just as much sugar as a can of fizzy drinks.
- A hot mug of coffee can pick you up midday while a healthy cup of green tea or flavoured water not only fills and hydrates you but gives you antioxidants that help fight cold and flu symptoms.
- Choose nutritious snacks that you bring with you and store in your drawer to help fight hunger pangs.
- A handful of dried fruits and nuts, a cup of low fat yoghurt with some fresh fruits, some vegetable sticks with low fat labne, guacamole or hummus dip are loaded with filling nutrients such as fibres, good fats and proteins.
All of these small but effective choices you make contribute towards losing weight while still at the office.
- Walking: Simply getting up from your desk to stretch and take a quick walk around the office is an easy solution on how to lose weight during working hours.
- Glutes exercise: while staying in a seated position, squeeze your glutes by contracting your muscles and hold for 5 seconds, then relax for five seconds. Do this at least 15 repetitions three times.
- Leg Lifts: Sit up tall and straighten one leg so it’s parallel with the floor, flex that foot, and hold for five seconds. Lower it slowly and repeat with the other leg. Do 12 repetitions of lifts 3 times.
- Wall sits: Boost your strength by standing with your back against the wall, and then slide your back down the wall while bending your knees. Stop when your thighs are parallel to the floor and hold for 30-60 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
- Abs: Just silently contract and hold your abdominal muscles for 30 seconds at a time, and repeat for 5 sets.
- Stair Climbing: If walking around the office seems a bit conspicuous, use the stairs to get to your office. A good walk up a flight of stairs burns a lot of calories and while you may look beat and exhausted the first time around, keep at it and soon enough, you’ll be really good at it.
- What if you worked in a ground floor office or in a high-rise building? Well then get outside. Go out for a quick walk, just a few minutes of activity, two to three times a day can increase your physical and mental well-being manifold all while burning plenty of calories.