Invisalign vs traditional braces - What's the right choice for you?
Apr 03 2019 By Dr. Nizar Ishaq - Specialist Orthodontist
If you are considering straightening your teeth, you will probably have lots of questions about your treatment options and what is the right choice for you. Some of the most common questions are round the advantages of Invisalign vs traditional braces, which is more effective? What is more affordable? Which treatment works quickest?
Both braces and Invisalign are orthodontic treatments that were designed to straighten teeth, correct overbites, and close gaps resulting in an improved smile and better oral health. Invisalign was created with the intention to be invisible and it utilizes a set of clear removable aligner trays made of smooth, comfortable, BPA-free clear plastic that neatly fits over your teeth to subtly and gently align them. On the other hand, traditional braces usually make use of metal wires, brackets, and if required, bands, to get the most ideal movement or position of the teeth.
Aside from the obvious aesthetic advantage of choosing clear aligners there are other considerations when you are comparing Invisalign vs traditional braces. For example, both treatments may cause discomfort from tooth movement, but Invisalign does not cause sores like those which can result from the brackets and wires used in traditional braces. Some of the differences of the two types of treatment are:
- Are more effective for correcting more complex issues such as when teeth need to be moved vertically.
- Are glued to the patient’s teeth so there is no temptation to take them out, meaning less self-discipline is needed for a successful outcome.
- Don’t have an additional cleaning steps besides the regular dental hygiene practices of daily brushing and flossing.
Invisalign clear aligners
- Are practically invisible, so if you don’t want to make a fashion statement with coloured braces are ideal.
- Are removable which may make cleaning of teeth easier compared to fixed braces.
- Don’t cause issues with food getting caught in wires, as the aligners are not to be worn when eating or drinking anything apart from water.
- Require that the patient brushes their teeth after every meal to avoid staining.
- Need to be worn for at the absolute minimum 20 hours a day to be effective.
Though braces of any type certainly require some sort of investment, Invisalign aligners are very similar in cost to traditional metal braces. Many patients prefer the convenience and ease of Invisalign, and don’t want the stigma and discomfort of traditional metal braces and find that it is worth the cost to get the smile of their dreams. To find out which option is best for you consult our dental experts at our Jumeirah Dental Clinic.
<< Back to blogs