Ramadan Nutritional Recommendations
Ramadan is an amazing time to break bad habits and replace them with healthy ones. Follow these recommendations to help you stay healthy and focused during the holy month.
- Listen to your body and eat mindfully; Eat slowly and stop as soon as you feel full to avoid overeating and having digestive discomfort.
- Try not to skip Suhur meal to avoid cravings later in the evening.
- Exercise ideally 2 hours after Iftar: try to exercise 3-4 times/week.
- Drink at least 8-10 cups after breaking fast. Choose healthy food that it’s prepared and cooked in a healthy way.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks. Limit your intake of caffeine to 2 cups of coffee or tea.
- Try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep at night.
- Pray, meditate and enjoy the holy month.
Break your fast with 1-2 cups of water. Try to get enough water during the evening to avoid dehydration.
Avoid soups with cream such as cream of mushroom or cream of chicken. This type of soup usually contains high amounts of saturated fats. Opt for vegetables based soups or lentil and freekeh soups instead.
- Choose vegetables prepared with little or no added fat, sugar or salt. Try not to skip Suhur meal to avoid cravings later in the evening.
- Enjoy leafy green salads as they are high in fibers and antioxydants.
- Always ask for the dressing on the side when you order a salad. Opt for olive oil + lemon + salt dressing if possible.
- Eat at least two servings of fish each week such as salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel.
- Select lean meat.
- Have meat alternatives such as beans and lentils often.
- Trim the visible fat from meats. Remove the skin on chicken.
- Use cooking methods such as roasting, baking, poaching that require little or no added fat.
- Drink skimmed or low fat milk.
- Select low fat yogurt and cheeses.
- Limit beverages high in calories such as fruit flavored drinks, soft drinks, sports and energy drinks and sweetened hot or cold drinks.
- Satisfy your thirst with water. It’s a calorie-free way to quench your thirst. Drink more water in hot weather.
Limit Food high in calories such as:
- Cakes and pastries
- Cookies and granola bars
- Ice cream and frozen desserts
- Chocolate and candies
- Doughnuts and muffins
- French Fries and other fast foods
- Nachos and Potato Chips
- Fruit-flavoured drinks and soft drinks
- Sweetened hot or cold drinks
- Sports and energy drinks