Morbid Obesity…The new killer
Morbid obesity has reached epidemic levels in the past 10 years.
The Gulf Obesity Surgery Society (GOSS) reported at its annual conference in Dubai in 2014, that obesity exists in 30% of people in the Gulf countries. In the USA, morbid obesity is considered the third cause of death after cancer and heart disease.
Morbid obesity leads to major health and psychological consequences:
- Health problems: are significantly higher in obese people, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, sleep apnea and joint disease. These health problems lead to shortened life expectancy compared to non-obese people.
- Psychological problems: Obesity tends to cause low self-esteem, which can affect people’s social life and even their performance at work.
The main question is how to fight obesity? This depends on the level of obesity, which is determined by the measurement of BMI (weight index relative to height). Your doctor can determine your BMI during a consultation and monitor it to evaluate worsening or improvement and help you decide whether you are a candidate for surgery.
The following internationally recognised guidelines apply:
- BMI 25 – 35: Diet and exercise is advised
- BMI 35 – 40 with comorbidities (diabetes, heart disease, etc.): Surgical treatment is advised
- BMI over 40 with or without comorbidity: Surgical treatment is advised
Surgical treatment consists of a variety of surgical options, including a laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (reducing the size of the stomach), which is the latest widely performed surgery in the USA and Europe. The surgeon will be able to talk you through the options and advise you which treatment is the best for you.
If you have a friend or relative, who needs advice on obesity and related health issues then help is at hand. To make an appointment with our General Surgeon at GMCClinics, Dr. Khallad Fares(certified by the American Board of Surgery and an expert in laparoscopic and weight loss surgery), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call your preferred location:
Green Community: 04 885 3225
Jumeirah: 04 349 4880
Tecom: 04 567 6888